Thursday, June 23, 2011

C'est la vie...

After traveling almost 7,000 miles on motorcycle, 7,000 miles by car, and 4,000 miles by plane over the past 2 months, I've decided that my major travels are through for the summer (wait...didn't summer just start?)

I still plan on posting ride updates as I take short day trips and weekend rides, but the lion's share of "big riding" is done a week early.  I had originally planned on being on the road this week, traveling down to the Blue Ridge Parkway...until I researched the Blue Ridge Parkway and realized I wanted to spend more than 2 or 3 days riding it.  The guides say that an explorative trip down the Parkway can take up to 10 days, it just didn't seem right trying to cram that into 2 or 3.  It's nice to know I have another adventure out on the horizon.

There are some valuable things I learned in my travels:

  1. Always wear long pants and long sleeves when scrambling through mountain forests, with no trails...I'm so itchy.
  2. Riding a motorcycle in the hot sun for 6 to 8 hours really takes a physical toll on your body.  Ending a day with a shower and a good meal is more pleasant than can really be described.
  3. Riding a motorcycle in the cold wet rain for 6 to 8 hours really takes a physical toll on your body.  Ending a day with a hot shower and a good meal is more pleasant than can really be described.
  4. Old friends are a great treasure. So glad I got to see a few people from long ago.
  5. When riding all day...never underestimate the value of being comfortable.
  6. Even the most comfortable hotel bed can't beat sleeping at home.
  7. Trying to sort through 34 days of mail sucks.
Is that all I learned...not really...but it's all I could squeeze out of my travel weary brain for now. :)

It's been a pleasure sharing my journey's with you. I've still got a few good rides left in me for this summer, and I'll post about them when they happen.

Tomorrow is another day, and another road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, which means I read them all and then approve them for posting.

Thanks,
Chad Cole