Thursday, June 9, 2011

Let it snow...

Shiver me timbers...it sure was a cold one today, eh? So much fer gettin' dem sandals out...

My first stop on the ride today was Walmart...to buy some more clothes. Of course, it's June, so the racks are full of shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. I finally found a stack of fleece pullovers molding in the back of the menswear section and picked out two of them. I was going to buy one, but then I thought to myself, "Self, it's really cold out there...buy two." Turns out I give myself good advice and I take good advice pretty well. I stopped for gas after leaving Wally World and immediately put that second pullover on. This is the most layered I have ever been for riding: t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece pullover, polyester jacket, fleece pullover, plus mittens...and I was still cold.

Lucky for me it's going to warm up a whole 2 degrees tomorrow.

Once I had stuffed myself securely into my Eskimo layers, I headed to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The sunshine was deceiving, trying to trick the mind into thinking it was nice and warm, while a bitter cold wind blew in steadily off Lake Superior all day long. I had originally planned on riding the full length of the park on County Road H-58. The cold left me thinking otherwise.

I managed to stop at Miner’s Falls and trek through the woods to see a nice waterfall, cutting it’s way through the limestone. Then I headed up to Miner’s Castle and the Pictured Rocks overhang. After those, I was ready to head back to the hotel and try to warm up…something I still haven’t really managed to do even several hours after returning.

I’m going to be taking a little sabbatical from my riding adventure next week. I’ll be flying out west to visit my aunt and uncle in Portland. Adventures will resume the week of the 20th.

Here are some pictures and videos from the day.

All dressed up, and glad that they caught the uni-bomber years ago...

He sees you when you're sleeping...and when you ride through Christmas.

Happy as a clam...an ice cold clam.

Miner's Castle



Me, sitting in the woods...










This little fella was pretty brave...





Tomorrow is another day, and another road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, which means I read them all and then approve them for posting.

Thanks,
Chad Cole