Wednesday, August 22, 2012

West Coast Adventure - Day 8

Montana is just big...I'm sure you could make it across the state in one day...especially if you wore an adult diaper and took snacks. When I woke up this morning, it marked my 4th day in the state. Admittedly, one of those days was for a fun adventure, but still...

I "slept in" until 7:30. Spent a few hours packing, surfing the internet, planning out the rest of my trip...more on that later...and then had a late breakfast before hitting the road. It's nice to not be in a hurry. :)

Idaho was still almost 90 miles away and I thought I'd push straight through and stop in Bonner's Ferry for my fist stop of the day. Little did I know the waters of western Montana would draw me in. I was hustling down US-2 when this beautiful body of water caught my eye; crystal clear waters just begging for a closer look.
McGregor Lake



I spent a few minutes wandering along this beautiful shoreline before heading west again. Not long after, I reached the small town of Libby and there was the Kootenai River, flowing westward at a pleasant clip. US-2 follows the river for quite a bit, crossing over it at least twice, and giving you an opportunity to stop and take a short stroll to see the Kootenai Falls. It was well worth the walk, and working up a small sweat, to see it.




After leaving the falls, the Idaho state line wasn't far.
I was no more than a few miles across the border when I was hit with an allergy attack. My eyes started watering, my nose started running, I started sneezing...super fun in full helmet...and had to stop at the first gas station I found to buy some Benadryl. Apparently I'm allergic to Idaho. Good thing I was only in the state for about an hour. :)

The Washington state line came pretty quickly once I was doped up. It was only about an hour from there to Spokane. It was during this segment of the trip that I had my first case of ride "weariness." After spending 8 days on the road, sleeping in a different bed every night, and seeing such a wide variety of terrain...I was ready to go home. I don't think it's homesickness. I've been away from home for longer. I had just hit a point where I didn't want to be on the road anymore. The feeling was not overwhelming, but it did make the rest of the ride to Spokane a little blah. It was more about just getting to the hotel than enjoying the majestic scenery around me.

I'll be curious to see if that follows me into tomorrow or not. I'll be spending the next 2 nights in Tacoma. By the time I get to my aunt and uncle's house in Canby, Oregon, on Sunday, I'll be halfway through the trip. It will be interesting to see if that has a positive effect on the desire to keep going.

I spent some time last night and this morning trying to figure out a plan of attack for the rest of the trip, that might have contributed to my feelings. It looks like I've got very little wiggle room in being able to stop and see the people I want to stop and see, see the sights I want to see, and fit it all in in the time I have left. I don't have a spare day between now and when I need to be home...here's hoping for the best. :)

257 miles today

8 days and counting :)
 Tomorrow is another day and another road. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, which means I read them all and then approve them for posting.

Thanks,
Chad Cole