Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not enough time...

Whew! I'm beat.

I took the long way to Rhode Island from Bangor, Maine: US-2 all the way to Gorham, New Hampshire, then Route 16 down through the White Mountain National Forest and west to I-93 on the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112). It was a great ride, although I do tend to get tired of having to slow down to 35 every 5 miles for whichever little burg I might be driving through. They need to build an express lane on some of these 2 lanes. :) The odometer on the Vision rolled over 1,000 miles just a little before I got to the hotel. The next 1,000 may be entirely different. A lot of it will be plodding down the east coast trying to find the easiest way to the Outer Banks.

What I didn't have time to do was drive up to the top of Mt. Washington. I was tempted to, but knew it would mean not getting to my hotel tonight until after 11PM. In addition, there were some pretty nasty looking clouds hovering around the top of the mountain and I did manage to get sprinkled on just a wee little bit as I was driving past. It's something I'll have to keep in the back of my mind for the next time I'm in New Hampshire.

As I made my way down the Kancamagus Highway, I got to thinking that every state has one of these...a road that is meant for riding. I know of several of them in Michigan, which then made me wonder why I was all the way over in New Hampshire...oh, yeah, the mountains! Riding US-2 out of Maine and into New Hampshire was an experience that's hard to find back home. As you head west, you're climbing almost non-stop, you just don't know it. Then, all of a sudden, you crest a hill, the trees clear, and there, splayed out before you, like the roller coaster of the gods, are the mountains. Admittedly, these aren't the Rockies we're talking about here, but they're pretty big hills none-the-less.

Picture of the dam system in Mexico...Mexico, Maine, that is.





The mountains, as seen from Kancamagus Pass, elevation around 2,800 feet.





Tomorrow is another day, and another road.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Post Rd,Warwick,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, which means I read them all and then approve them for posting.

Thanks,
Chad Cole